iced coffee with almond milk

My friends Ruth and Gillian had been telling me about their newest discovery: coffee with almond milk. According to Ruth, it’s a Pugliese thing that you had to go all the way to Puglia to get. Gillian, instead, had it recently for breakfast at the newly opened Coramandel restaurant in Rome.

I’m a big lover of anything coffee. I love it hot and I love it cold. And as soon as summer begins I start making daily pilgrimages to Tazza d’Oro for granita di cafe or Fiocco di Neve for cafe affogato con zabione.

Usually, however, I am limited by the fact that I usually have to leave the house to grab one of these treats.

But last week I realized something really dangerous. After a quick trip to the supermarket down the road, I was able make this addictive treat in the comfort of my home, way too easily.

Latte di Mandorla is a southern Italian thing that traditionally is made by chopping up fresh almonds, letting them sit in water and sugar overnight, then squeezing the juices through a piece of muslin until you get an ambrosial, milky white almond drink.

But nowadays things have, of course, gotten much easier. Latte di Mandorla comes pre-made, in a milk carton, available at your local store (at least at mine).

So during these hot days of summer, my 11:00 am coffee break consists of iced almond coffee. It’s what my sister Robin refers to as a novelty coffee drink. And yes, it’s a bit Starbuckish. But that’s ok with me.

Iced Coffee with Almond Milk

1/2 cup freshly brewed espresso
1/2 cup almond milk
ice

I like my iced coffee strong, so I brew a pot of espresso. I let it cool off for about 15 minutes, then add the cold milk. Fill the glass with as much ice as will fit. And to get the full, almost milkshake-like effect, you really need to use a straw. Trust me.

FacebookGoogle+PinterestTwitterEmail

Comments

1. says

This is yet another one of your recipes that leaves me smacking my forehead in a “Why didn’t I think of that?” moment. Doh! Do I have espresso? Yes. Do I have almond milk? Oui. Hooray! Have to love two ingredient treats…

2. Heide says

We switched to almond milk 5 years ago and never looked back. Our grocery store offers it in 5 varieties, regular, vanilla, chocolate, sweetened and unsweetened, all delicious with different variations of coffee – latte, espresso, iced – and it froths up beautifully for a cappuccino.

3. says

Here’s another twist; combine the almond milk and espresso in a handsome old-fashioned jam jar and stick it in the freezer. Give it a shake/stir whenever you are passing by and enjoy when it reaches your preferred level of ‘granite’-ishness. This summer I am letting it freeze pretty hard and then enjoying it all day at the office. Too bad we are already at Ferragosto!

4. PhilipB. says

Make ice-cubes from coffee, rather than plain water. Then you don’t have to dilute your coffee to chill it.

5. says

If the almond milk is a sticky syrup, then I’d agree that it IS indeed pugliese in origins. I travel a few months each year around Southern Italy and I’ve seen the drink starting to spread. I had it first though, in Puglia, in Lecce. It goes back at least 30 years, when I first had it.

Silvestro
    Lecce

6. says

I don’t think I said you have to go to Puglia to get iced coffee and almond milk. I think I said that Puglia is where this amazing concoction got its start. Now it can be found on my breakfast table every day!

7. says

An iced cold coffee to start a day?! Why not?! Drinking coffee became a routine for almost all people; some would drink coffee to lighten up their day, to keep awake and some drink coffee to release their stress. Well, according to studies, coffee is a good anti oxidant and by drinking a cup of coffee, it might give the person higher chances of living longer.

8. Anonymous says

Ok all very exciting- but I have only ever found plain almond milk in at the Canestro never seen it anywhere else and what I really want is the unsweetened Almond Milk with Vanilla– is this too much to ask in Rome?

Add Comment Register