citrus cake {from eugenia}

citrus cake, www.elizabethminmchilliinrome.com
I’d been hearing about my friend Eugenia’s clementine cake for quite a while. I know she mentioned boiling the fruit, but beyond that, once she started describing the recipe, my mind kept wandering. I admit I have a very hard time focusing on a recipe before I’ve actually tasted the dish.

What’s the eating version of being a visual person? I just can’t imagine what something will taste like until I’ve actually put it in my mouth.
A couple of weeks ago I finally got a chance. After many portions of pilaf (not to mention too many goblets of vodka) I’m surprised I could actually fit anything more in my mouth.

But once I did of course my first question was “How did you make this? What’s in it?” Which of course Eugenia had tried to tell me about before, but I hadn’t paid any attention.

Actually, this version turned out to be different from previous ones according to Eugenia. Since it was way past clementine season, Eugenia had turned to other late winter citrus: lemons and oranges.

The whole thing is actually kind of magic. The fruit gets boiled for an hour or so, and then is whizzed into a puree. Together with some almonds and sugar, it becomes a moist, sweet/tart, beautiful finish to a meal.

Although I wouldn’t say no to it for breakfast either. Since it’s actually just fruit and eggs. Breakfast food. Am I right?
citrus cake, www.elizabethminchilliinrome.com

Citrus Cake

Citrus – 5-6 Clementines. Or do as Eugenia did and use 2 oranges and 1 lemon
2 1/4 cups ground almonds
6 whole eggs
1 cup sugar
1 level tsp baking powder
confectioners sugar

Boil citrus, whole, until completely soft (1.5 to 2 hours).
Let cool, cut in half and remove the seeds. Blend in a food processor.
Beat eggs well. Add blended pulp, ground almonds, sugar and baking powder. Mix well.

Preheat oven to 190C/360F

Line a spring form pan with a circle of wax paper. Pour in batter and bake for 40 to 60 minutes. Start checking with a toothpick after about 30 minutes.

Cool.  Dust with confectioners sugar. Tastes even better the next day. Good even after three days.

FacebookGoogle+PinterestTwitterEmail

Comments

1. Jane in Denmark says

Wow, this is both lactose and glutin free, and I can’t wait to try it. How fine do the almonds need to be ground – the same as almond flour?

• says

Yes, I know, perfect for everyone! You can grind them in a food processor, so get them as fine as you can. But they will still be a bit uneven (not like flour) which gives it a nice texture.

2. says

My friend Aglaia Kremezi just wrote on Facebook: This is based on the recipe for the Sephardic ‘orange and almond cake’ published in Claudia Roden’s Book of Middle Eastern Food (page 486 in the 1986 Penguin edition). It is INDEED wonderful, and I like the fact that the sugar is here somewhat reduced! Claudia writes that it is “half pudding and half cake, and never fails….” THANKS Elizabeth Minchilli for reminding us!!!!

3. says

This is too good to pass up. I have got to try it. This points up one of the reasons yours is one of my favorite websites. You write about things that others do not and in the process awaken me to new gustatory delights. Thanks, Elizabeth!

4. Cate says

There is a way to microwave the oranges/clementines to cut down on the cooking time,and save money on fuel costs. I know people who have done it, but not sure of the time required.

5. Anonymous says

I assume not roasted, salted or otherwise flavored almonds? Also probably not Naval oranges because of the thick skin?

6. John Martin Taylor says

I recently saw a version with citrus wrapped in aluminum foil and put in the fireplace… but I can’t find it… so I’m going to put mine in a clay pot and let it go all day on low… just to see…

7. Anonymous says

Mine came out great, thanks much, I’m going to save this receipe. I boiled the fruit for 2 hours but less would probably do as well and I probably will try using roasted almonds. Just can’t “leave well enough alone.

8. says

Even with the Denver altitude, this cake turned out beautifully by using 2 less tablespoons of sugar. I served the cake with sliced Cara Cara oranges (tangerines) and creme fraiche. Divine.

9. says

I can’t quite believe it turned out so well.
    I kept asking “Is that all there is?”
    But I stuck to the recipe and my Roman husband kept eating it.
    “Hey! she says it supposed to better tomorrow…”

Add Comment Register