For years I’ve kept a personal list of my favorites (restaurants, hotels, stores, bakeries, etc.) that I was happy enough to give out to friends, editors, colleagues - and, well, anyone who asked. And a lot of what I discover makes its way to this blog, where I write about all sorts of good stuff in Rome, Italy and beyond.
EAT ROME, EAT FLORENCE and EAT VENICE are the result of my years of eating and living in Italy, all boiled down into handy, nifty apps. Don’t go expecting exhaustive. If you want ALL the restaurants in Rome or Florence there are tons of guide books out there - in English and Italian. EAT ROME, EAT FLORENCE and EAT VENICE are simply what I think is the best. In other words, these are all places that I go to, love and would send friends to. I’ve edited them all down to a list you can trust.
RAVES FOR THE EAT ITALY APPS:
- TRAVEL & LEISURE: Top Italian Food Guide App: GPS-enabled apps with Minchilli’s picks and reviews for the best places to eat, drink, and shop for food in each city
- FOOD & WINE: For anyone planning to visit cities in Italy, here's a suggestion: The Eat apps written by Elizabeth Minchilli, veteran traveler and Italy specialist.
- LA TIMES: "Minchilli's judgements are informed and unvarnished."
- CONDE NAST TRAVELLER: "Elizabeth Minchilli, a true aficionado"
- ZAGAT: "...for adventurous eaters - those who really like food."
- HUFFINGTON POST: "Minchilli beautifully details over 200 food spots.Minchilli clearly knows what she loves and loves to write."
You’ll find most of the entries are located in the historic center of towns, since that’s the area most convenient for the majority of folks. In addition to restaurants, I’ve also included things like wine bars, coffee bars, bakeries, and kitchen stores. I plan on adding more categories in the future, like butchers and picnic spots. And if you have any suggestions, I’d love to hear from you.
I’ll constantly be adding new entries, so stay in touch either on this blog, or by becoming a fan of EAT ROME , EAT FLORENCE. EAT VENICE on Facebook or follow me on Twitter (here and here and here)
If you’re planning a trip to Italy, make sure you buy and download EAT ROME , EAT FLORENCE and EAT VENICE before you leave, to avoid roaming charges. Once you’re here, all of the features will be on your device, even if you are offline.
EAT ITALY: a guide to eating in Italy's top ten cities, will be available in April 2014.
EAT FLORENCE, EAT ROME and EAT VENICE are all available through iTunes, and downloadable to your iPhone, iPad, or iTouch. They are also available for Android devices. (EAT ITALY to be published in September 2013)
Updates are often, and free of charge.